This has been a rough month for me, and I’ve been escaping into video games a lot. So apologies if all my accomplishments are kind of lame.
Tabletop Gaming Has a White Male Terrorism Problem. I shared this without comment on Facebook. Let me comment here. This resonated deeply with me. While I’ve never suffered anything so bad as described in the article, I have been harassed in gaming spaces. It happened in high school, in the way I was marginalized within my group of D&D-playing “friends.” It happened in 2009, when I chose to speak up about racist and sexist language in a WoW guild I was part of. It continues to happen when I talk about being a woman who likes video games.
I love games. I have always loved games. I will not leave the hobby. But it does mean that a lot of the time I just pretend to be a dude on the internet.
– Wrote 730 words on Lioness
– Wrote two blog posts:
– Read “The Fixer,” by Paul McAuley (Clarkesworld, February 2016)
– Read “The Shadow Collector,” by Shveta Thakrar (Uncanny, issue 9)
– Read Tremontaine 5
– Watched The Lady Eve (1941) (I think I actually watched this in February, but forgot to log it there)
– Watched The Martian
– Watched Mad Max Fury Road
– Watched Jupiter Ascending
– Watched The Last Witchhunter
– Watched the RiffTrax of Samurai Cop
– Played Lagoon: Land of Druids
– Listed to Welcome to Night Vale, episodes 74-83
– Listened to Happier with Gretchen Rubin, episodes 49-53
– Listened to Writing Excuses, episodes 11.09 and 11.10
– Listened to Elder Scrolls Off the Record 172 and 173
– Listened to Classic Elder Scrolls 50-52; also went back and listened to a 19-23
– Started a new heavily-modded Skyrim playthrough with Hibernia Leonis, an Imperial focused on 1H/Heavy Armor/Block.
ESO gets its own section this time, because it’s primarily what I’ve been doing!
– Healed veteran Dragonstar Arena in ESO, and got the coveted Boethiah’s Scythe title for my daedra-worshipping Dunmer Falanu. I would just like to toot my own horn and note that I did this with TWO VAMPIRES (i.e. in a trial where the final round is FIRE FIRE ALL THE FIRE OMG). It’d be more impressive if it weren’t V14 content, I suppose!
– Completed normal mode Aetherian Archive with the UESP guild (with Falanu)
– Completed normal mode Hel Ra Citadel with the UESP guild (with Falanu)
– FINALLY managed to complete vet White Gold Tower (with Falanu; normal mode on Molag Kena, though, because fuck those bi-directional lightning walls)
– Attended grandmother’s birthday party/visited with family in Walkill, NY
– Hosted a visit from my dad
– Had dinner/writing time with Phoebe
– Had dinner/book club with Jess
– Started a new knitting project, teaching myself the figure-8 cast-on
– Had a massage
– Took lunchtime walks a few days (don’t recall how many)
12-day rejection for “Remember to Die”, Fantastic Stories
16-day rejection for “Powder of Sympathy”, Apex