Our Gothic Future. In which Madeleine Ashby talks about Crimson Peak and why it’s so relevant today in ways that make me sad I don’t have an English degree.
(As a reminder, I wrote my own analysis of Crimson Peak — in particular the costume design, and how it conveys a sense of the Sharpes being stuck in the past).
Nerd Role Models: Captain America and Non-Toxic Masculinity. I’m actually not much of a fan of superheroes, in general, but this article was brilliantly written, and kind of made me regret not having seen any of these movies.
The first scene of Mary Robinette Kowal’s next novel, Ghost Talkers. Even loving SFF as I do, it’s rare that I read a first scene that makes me want to rush out and buy the book quite so much as this one did. Regrettably, I have to wait until July to read the whole book.
– Wrote 3,801 words on Lioness
– Attended writing group
– Attended a Saturday afternoon write-in
– Submitted “Remember to Die” to Fantastic Stories
– Submitted “Powder of Sympathy” to Apex
– Wrote some blog posts:
– Read The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair
– Read Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
– Read Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear
– Read/listened to Tremontaine episode 7 (aaaand I seem to have skipped #5 and #6 without realizing it. It’s kind of amazing how coherent it still was).
– Played Creative Clash with coworkers
– Played Codenames with a whole bunch of cool people
– Listened to Writing Excuses 10.44 – 10.52, 11.01 – 11.08
– Listened to Happier with Gretchen Rubin, episode 46-48
– Finished Coursera course “Learning How to Learn”
– Finished the Assassin (timed) achievements for vet Crypt of Hearts and vet Banished Cells in ESO (with Falanu)
– Watched the Film Crew of The Giant of Marathon
– Watched the Film Crew of The Wild Women of Wongo
– Watched the Film Crew of Hollywood After Dark
(This was “Film Crew February” at RiffTrax, where they re-released a bunch of riffs they’d done as part of The Film Crew, a similar project circa 2006).
– Attended Intercon P
– Went to several panels/workshops at Intercon P — Costuming Tricks for Lazy People, Renaissance Dancing, Interactive Props, Social Contract of Larp
– Played in Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
– Played in 1493
– Played in Congress of Vienna
– Had dinner with Django and Casey at Boskone
– Had dinner/book club with Jess at Minerva
– Had lunch with Alison at Minado
– Visited with my mom at the Dance Flurry in Saratoga Springs, NY
– Visited EB
– Put together costume for Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
– Put together costume for 1493
– Put together costume for Congress of Vienna
– Did 11am/3pm office exercises x 1
– Did three sets of contradance
– Did Hacker’s Diet Introductory Fitness Ladder rung 1 x 1
– Took three lunchtime (30-40m) walks
– Had two chiropractor appointments
– Had a massage